Google+ Secret Book Lover: Rant - Wrecked by Shiloh Walker

Sunday 28 April 2013

Rant - Wrecked by Shiloh Walker

PREMISE
In the nineties, Abigale Applegate and Zach Barnes were the most beloved sitcom child stars in the world. Then they grew up and left Hollywood behind…

Whatever happened to Abigale Applegate?

She’s been wondering the same thing.

With her Hollywood dreams long gone, Abigale now has a nice, neat, uncomplicated life—until the day her perfect fiancé needs to talk. Dumped, a little more than shattered, and totally confused, Abigale turns to Zach, her best friend since forever, to help her pick up the pieces. He does it with a gift—a copy of Wreck This Journal. She can vent her frustrations, and sketch out a new plan. Zach just hopes he’s part of it. Because he’s been in love with Abigale his entire life.

When the journal falls into Zach’s hands, he discovers Abigale wants a new man. And fast. Nothing more than a hot distraction. Zach has a strategy, too. He’s going to be that man. It’s his last chance. Abigale might be out to shake up her life, but Zach’s out to reinvent it. Now, all he has to do is convince Abigale that life can go as planned.
************************************************************
Looks good, right? Which is why, even though I'm not one for contemporary romance, I was really looking forward to this. In fact, I got so hyped up about this that I pre-ordered it for my Kindle and got up at 12.01 to read it!

..... and I think I've wasted my time. 

Don't get me wrong, it starts out pretty well. The tension between Zach and Abigale is absolutely delicious  and it was fun being in Zach's head. However, this book is supposed to be about "getting the girl" after waiting so long for her, right? 

Well, they have sex at the beginning of the book - and spend the rest of the book having sex. 

Seriously, where did the synopsis go? I must have completely misinterpreted it because I was waiting for this big build up and then a BOOM! at the end, when she discovers that her best friend like likes her and vice versa. Instead, Zach kind of bypasses the whole "friend" thing and head straight to "lover" almost as soon as the book starts. I know that the synopsis says that he wants to be the guy she has an affair with, but they way it was written just didn't ring true. Also, even though they are "Best Friends Forever" who are having sex, he keeps hiding his love for her in case it scares her away. Meanwhile, she tries to figure out:
  1. Whether or not she loves him.
  2. Whether or not he loves her.
  3. Why she's so whiny.
Oh, wait, sorry. Number three was one of the things I was trying to figure out. Which brings me to my next point: I just didn't like Abigale.

As I mentioned above, she was really whiny. She practically fell apart if she didn't have a "plan" to follow. Now that I'm thinking about it, she actually might have had anxiety issues. If she did, I'd probably be more sympathetic. I think that the author was trying to show the contrast between her and Zach, who is supposed to live life on the edge. Which is funny, because apart from owning a tattoo parlour (oooh! Danger, danger!) he seems like a pretty normal guy.

I don't know. I just didn't feel it. I think it deserved:
 Two hats. It was a spell gone wrong.

********************************************************
Thoughts? Have I completely lost my mind? Do you like it, love it or go "Eh."? Let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment