Google+ Secret Book Lover: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill - Review

Thursday 10 January 2013

Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill - Review




PREMISE


Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude - and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war - and there will be blood...
*******************************************
I really enjoyed this one! Merit is a very realistic  down to earth character who uses logic and COMMON SENSE to solve problems! She has a couple of flaws, but that only added a new depth to her and made her easier to connect to. She has a very unique outlook and her snark just left me doubled over in laughter. 
The plot had me hooked the whole way through. I guess what I liked most about it was that Merit, though forcibly turned into a vampire, doesn't dwell on it and moan about it for two-hundred pages. There are bigger issues at hand and it's really a 'solve one problem. then face the next' kind of attitude that she has. I can't describe how much I appreciated that and it made it very easy for me too relate to her. It also made the book very easy to read.
Her relationship with Ethan is very interesting. I love romance. I love all the chemistry and lovey-dovey crap, and that's why when Merit and Ethan DON'T get on, I got all intrigued. I think this series is going to make me work for then to get together. I can tell. I'm prepared to read as many books as it takes to make it happen.
I also liked Mallory. Mallory is Merit's bestie and is the best friend anyone could hope for. She is really 'out there' and matches Merit's quiet, sensibilities perfectly. The conversations they have had me laughing out loud! (The 'boobs vs. legs' debate, for example.) 
All in all, it's a very, very good book with some high quality writing, quirky, three-dimensional characters, a potential love story 'for the ages' and lots of snark and humour.
It's Merit's lucky day: five hats! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment